Voluntary Volunteer drivers
NZ Red Cross is seeking volunteer drivers to provide transport assistance to former refugee families that have recently arrived in Wellington.
Although Red Cross’s policy is to encourage former refugees to become independent and use public transport, sometimes we need to help. Sometimes people need help to get to medical appointments, Red Cross meetings or events such as Welcome Lunches. Sometimes we need to transport goods from donors to former refugees’ homes.
Volunteer drivers will be in a pool of drivers who are contacted when someone needs transport. Sometimes the job might be a one-way trip, but more often it’s likely to be a return trip with some time waiting in between.
How much time will it take?
Volunteer Drivers will only work when they can, and when there’s work to be done. It’s very hard to estimate how often that will be. However, we estimate that drivers might drive once or twice a month, and each drive is likely to take two-four hours (which includes waiting time).
What skills do I need?
You will need to:
• know how to install car seats for young children
• be confident driving around Wellington, Porirua and Hutt cities.
• know a greeting in the language of the refugees you drive (we’ll give you a list)
• be discreet and keep personal information confidential
What qualifications or references do I need?
• You need a full, clean driving licence.
• You must allow NZ Red Cross to request a Police Vetting Report on you
• Your car must be registered, have a current Warrant of Fitness, and adequate insurance (so that you, NZ Red Cross and its clients are covered).
Is there anything else I need to know?
We need to ensure the safety of passengers, so you will need to tell us about any medical conditions that might affect your ability to drive (for example, epilepsy, a history of strokes, vulnerability to stress or anxiety).
We don’t have budget to reimburse you for petrol or parking.
What induction and training will I be given?
NZ Red Cross will give you a two-hour induction to working with refugees. If you have already completed full Refugee Resettlement Volunteer training, you don’t need to do any more.
If you have any queries, please email [email protected]
264 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here