Board position Trustee
The Aotearoa Youth Leadership Institute empowers Aotearoa youth through trajectory-changing opportunities. Our vision is to see Aotearoa youth leading change.
Right now, we’re looking for a new trustee to join our team. Could this be you? Read on!
AYLI aims to redefine leadership as a skill anyone can embrace and develop, we encourage young people to think critically about the world and their personal values – and, most importantly, we ask them to to think about how those values then intersect with their identities and plans for their futures.
Each year, through our International Programme, we send at least 50 delegates offshore in teams to participate in international conferences discussing the world’s most pressing issues – hosted by organisations from the UN to the OECD. Our delegates are trained before they leave Aotearoa, supported during their experience by Head Delegates, and while overseas have the chance to see global decisions being made and rub shoulders with global leaders in business, trade, campaigning, diplomacy and academia. On their return we encourage our delegates to complete a Fellowship programme where we support them to give back to their communities.
This is an exciting time for AYLI. We’ve got some fantastic International Programme delegations planned over the coming months, we’ll be trialling some new Aotearoa-based events, and we’re building an awesome community for our alumni. We’d love you to be a part of this!
About the role:
Our trustees are responsible for overseeing the direction of AYLI, and for ensuring we’re doing our best to deliver on the outcomes we want to see.
AYLI’s trustees’ responsibilities include:
– Ensuring we comply with all our legal requirements and our Trust Deed
– Ensuring we remain financially solvent
– Ensuring we live up to our mission
– Monitoring and adjusting our strategic direction and performance as required
– Ensuring that AYLI’s governance is up to the highest possible standard
We’re after someone who:
– Can commit for a minimum of two years
– Is based in New Zealand
– Can commit 10 hours per month to AYLI. (Monthly one hour online meetings, plus quarterly in person, full day, face-to-face strategic meetings. Trustees are expected to contribute additional time to add value to the organisation, and/or take on additional roles within the board.)
This is a voluntary role, but comes with a modest travel allowance to allow trustees to attend out of town strategic meetings.
As a youth leadership organisation, we think it’s important to be led by young people. AYLI is required to have more than half of our board members under 30 years of age. Right now we are specifically looking for applicants who are under 30 and/or applicants who have experience in governance, fundraising, accounting or financial planning. However, we will consider all applications!
These are the characteristics we’re looking for:
– A track record of voluntary service and commitment
– An ability to think critically and independently
– An ability to keep mission focussed
– An ability to communicate clearly and sensitively, and take an active part in discussions
– A willingness to listen and learn
– An interest or involvement in youth development
– A desire to contribute and provide direction to a growing organisation
1096 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here