Full-Time Support Worker (homeless youth and whānau)
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join our Support Team in a full time, permanent position. As RainbowYOUTH’s Homelessness Support Worker, you will work in partnership with other organisations and communities across Auckland, to provide support for queer, gender diverse, and intersex young people who are at risk of, or who are experiencing, homelessness*. This support will be twofold, encompassing preventative work with rangatahi who are at risk of homelessness, and ensuring that rangatahi who are homeless are supported into safe housing. This will involve working with whānau as well as working with housing providers and homelessness services.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about supporting and empowering Rainbow young people, who has a strengths based youth development approach. Full training will be provided for the role, and ideally you’ll have some education or experience in a related field. Your passion for our communities and access to safe, long term housing is important, we don’t expect you to be an expert on homelessness.
One of RainbowYOUTH’s core values is to proactively and respectfully honour Te Tiriti o Waitangi. We will welcome new staff members on this journey with us, and encourage you to discuss your commitment to this value in your application.
If you’d like to know more about this, or you’re not sure whether to apply, please get in touch with us at [email protected]!
*We use the Statistics NZ definition of homelessness, which is:
– Without shelter (no shelter, makeshift, and uninhabitable shelter, such as sleeping rough, living in a shack, or living in a car)
– In temporary accommodation (a non-private dwelling, such as a hostel, refuge, boarding house)
– Sharing accomodation (courchsurfing, living in overcrowded housing)
– In uninhabitable housing (in a dilapidated dwelling)
– Within our understanding of homelessness, we also consider being trapped in a household that is psychologically or physically damaging (due to factors such as a lack of independent income) as homelessness.
365 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here