Part-Time Finance Manager
Sustainability Trust is Wellington’s leading urban sustainability organisation. We create warm and dry homes for Wellington householders and assist individuals, organisations, schools and businesses to lower their environmental footprint.
Operating as a charitable trust, we deliver a wide range of commercial, social and environmental programmes from home insulation and school holiday programmes, to our EcoShop and Curtain Bank and many more innovative and successful initiatives.
Established in 2003, originally at the Porirua Landfill, we are now a staff of over 45 professionals working from our central city EcoCentre near Courtenay Place.
With an annual turnover of over $5m, and growing, we are now at the point where we need the services of a professional and efficient finance manager to have oversight and responsibility for our financial systems and processes.
The finance manager is a key new role for the Trust. To date we’ve used in-house skills with assistance of external accountants and we’re looking to bring all this together in a single role. We envisage the successful candidate as providing strategic advice to the Board and senior management as well as ensuring the internal systems are functioning smoothly and efficiently. As our in-house financial expert you’ll be the go-to person for all things to do with accounting, forecasting, systems and processes, and be able to recommend and implement changes. We’ll be relying on your skills and advice to ensure the Trust’s finances are in the best shape to meet the environmental and social challenges over the next 5-10 years.
Sustainability Trust is a medium-sized organisation and you’ll need to have the ability to be able work closely with staff and assist them to get the best out of our current financial software systems. However, you may also decide we need to investigate new software, revamp the way we do things, or upskill staff. We have dedicated staff in our office and an accounts department, but you’ll assist the office manager with any streamlining needed. You’ll also provide regular reporting and recommendations to the Board, CE, and managers to help them in decision making and forecasting.
60% of the Trust’s funds come from our income-generating business units. We are looking for someone who can provide us with well-developed commercial nous and financial skills to increase our profitability so that we can do more of our social and environmental mahi for the benefit of the people of the Wellington region.
We’ve sized the role at around 0.6FTE and for the right candidate are happy to be flexible around school-hours or other arrangements.
To be successful in this role you will ideally have:
• Strong accounting skills and financial acumen
• 3+ years in similar financial roles
• Be a member of CAANZ (or international equivalent) or be eligible for membership
• High-level proficiency in Xero and MS Excel
• Experience working with Shopify, Vend, and Salesforce (or similar POS and CRM systems)
• Ability to multi-task and prioritise work to meet deadlines
• A high level of attention to detail and accuracy
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to relate to a wide range of people
• Strong analytical skills and problem-solving capability
• Strategic thinker and able to build and maintain positive relationships with all staff, Board of Trustees and external stakeholders
• Strong self-management skills able to prioritise and adjust if need be
• Commercial nous
• A community-minded outlook and keen to make a difference in the environmental/community sector
• Experience in the trades sector would be advantageous
• A sense of humour and team spirit, celebrating successes
In return we offer:
• Competitive pay and conditions
• Flexible and family friendly working arrangements
• A happy and supportive work environment
• A sense of fulfillment working in an organisation that makes a difference in the lives of people and for the environment
If you think you have what it takes to significantly contribute to taking this respected, fast growing, sustainability-focused organisation into the future, we would love to hear from you.
715 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here