Part-Time Enspiral Catalyst
Initiator, Leader, Coordinator, Entrepreneur, Facilitator
What does servant leadership mean in a non-hierarchical, distributed network, where there are no bosses? How could you facilitate and activate the collective potential of an incredible group of 180+ highly skilled professionals brought together by a passion for positive social impact?
Come work with us, and let’s find out together.
You’re the kind of person who could be on top of a pyramid somewhere else, but you don’t like pyramids. There’s no such thing here, and that excites you. We are looking for someone with serious skills in strategic thinking, entrepreneurial creativity, process design, and motivating and empowering others, who can bring to life the possibilities of a decentralised organisation.
This is a unique opportunity well suited to someone who can navigate a chaordic environment, build relationships, spot opportunities, and empower people to achieve success. You will be a master of the art of the invitation, and very comfortable leading in environments where influence and inspiration trump authority.
Enspiral is a dynamic collective of social entrepreneurs, professionals, and businesses, headquartered in Wellington and active around New Zealand and internationally. We launch ventures and support social entrepreneurs out to make the world a better place through meaningful work. There are over 180 people and over a dozen ventures in the network, with a collective turnover of about $3.5 million per year.
Enspiral explained visually: https://whatis.enspiral.com
We’re organised as a network of interconnected nodes, with the Enspiral Foundation linking it all together. Enspiral Ventures and individual contributors contribute money, time, and skills to the Enspiral Foundation, which become shared resources. Projects to support the network and its vision are funded using a transparent participatory budgeting process. Everyone comes together online and offline to collaborate and make decisions collectively.
After several years of growth and learning, Enspiral is emerging into a new stage of evolution. There is more money, talent, and strong networks here than ever before. The challenge now is to identify insightful next steps to leverage that richness. We’re inviting new thinking to find the lever to pull to create maximum impact. As many of Enspiral’s core members are heads down on their individual businesses, the purpose of the Enspiral Catalyst is to step into the heart of the network at the Enspiral Foundation and further the vision of the whole network.
**Budget and Resources**
A key reason we want to invite in a visionary leader is to address the reality that we don’t have the resources to meet our big aspirations at this stage. So, we’re starting small with an MVP (minimum viable product), as a first step.
You have an entrepreneurial mindset. You’ll be developing an experimental role within an experimental organisation, and it will grow depending on your ability to rapidly prototype, leverage your environment, and thrive with uncertainty.
We are initially making $2000/month available for this role for six months. It’s up to you to pitch us what you can achieve with that, and how you’ll create a stepping stone to more. The initial role is for a contractor, fixed-term. The hours are up to you to propose, but with this budget we’re expecting part time.
You will be welcome to propose projects for additional funding from the discretionary funding pool (decided by the group as a whole), and grow new revenue streams to expand the budget available to you. There are considerable latent skills and resources just waiting for you to activate.
**Key Principles and Outcomes**
There’s no way anyone could achieve all this in a part time capacity, but this is the direction your work should be heading. It will be up to you to prioritise effectively.
– Help Enspiral achieve our core mission of ‘more people working on stuff that matters’, staying true to our values
– Help us implement our collectively set strategy through servant leadership and excellent facilitation
– Leverage existing resources, make cross-network connections, and empower people to engage
– Generate new opportunities, hustle, find new income streams
– Improve the core processes for collaboration, increase accountability and information flows
– Manage relationships, deepen partnerships, raise the network’s profile
**Expectations and Responsibilities**
How you go about pursuing the above will be up to you, but here are some touchpoints.
– Attend monthly board meetings and report to the directors
– Support Foundation staff (currently 3 part time roles, meet every two weeks)
– Report at members meetings (every two months)
– Present about the activities of the Foundation to the entire network (twice yearly)
– Engage actively on our online platforms (Loomio and others)
– Report against the social mission and the annual strategy – no one can deliver it alone, but we need you to tell us how we’re stacking up
– Self-manage and determine your own work in between meetings and check-in points
6976 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here