Full-Time Addictions Counsellor
- Make a difference by helping NZ wahine find recovery from addiction
- Two roles – one a Senior Counsellor
- Full time positions, based in Tawa
Our client has been helping New Zealanders find recovery from addictions for over 60 years and have worked alongside the Department of Corrections in facilitating Drug Treatment Units (DTUs) across New Zealand since 1997, when the first DTU in Arohata Prison was opened.
DTUs are separate units, away from the mainstream prison. Operating as a therapeutic community, the DTUs provide a safe and supportive environment within the prison, in which tane/wahine in prison can address underlying issues with alcohol or other drugs and develop skills for successful change.
They have two fantastic opportunities for experienced counsellors, both based at Arohata Prison in Tawa. One role is a senior AOD Counsellor and the remuneration on offer will be in line with experience.
We welcome applications from qualified AOD counsellors as well as those from allied disciplines such as counselling, who have a passion for alcohol and drug treatment and are committed to developing their knowledge and skill base in this important area. You will be responsible for delivering the therapeutic programme and will need to enjoy working from a strength based solutions focused perspective.
You will have strong empathy and be skilled in gender/trauma informed practice and motivational enhancement to support the wahine to make positive change and turn their lives around.
You will actively seek to develop an understanding of Māori models or perspectives of hauora in service delivery, and that Māori may consider using traditional healing processes and practices that support health and wellbeing.
This is a unique and highly rewarding opportunity to impact positive change on some of New Zealand’s most marginalised wahine.
Skills and Experience:
- DAPAANZ registration or working towards this
- Strong preference for experience of working with clients in Addictions and/or Mental Health setting
- An understanding of tikanga Māori and Māori models of practice and its importance
- Competence in te reo is an advantage
- Personal warmth and a ready sense of humour
- Flexibility, problem solving skills and strong professional boundaries
- Have a passion to support our wahine and their whanau on their journey of recovery/ wellness
What’s on offer:
- Focus on family friendly employment
- Five weeks annual leave
- Internal and external (including cultural) supervision
- Unique and highly rewarding opportunity within a therapeutic community
Applications close: Applications will be reviewed and actioned as received
Applications to: Nikki Walshaw via mclaren.co.nz
Position description: Available to view at mclaren.co.nz
P: 04 499 1069
View the position description by copying this link into your browser:https://mclaren.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/CareNZ-PD-Addiction-Counsellor-Arohata-11.3.22.pdf
197 total views, 4 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here