Voluntary Toy Librarian
The Grey Lynn Toy Library is looking for a passionate volunteer for a long term ‘Toy Librarian’ position.
Our library is a community resource that loans out toys to member families with children aged 4 months – 8 years. We are a charity/non-profit that was created by parents in 1995. Apart for a paid librarian who runs our weekly sessions, we are entirely volunteer run. Our sessions run every Wednesday and Saturday 9:30 – 11:30am during school terms, and it’s always a joy to see our children’s delight and excitement as they come in to ‘shop’ our selection of toys. We are closed during school holidays, as well as December-January each year.
We are looking for someone passionate, reliable, and detail oriented who is willing to come in each session to be a caring custodian for our 1000+ toys. This person will be an essential a part of our wonderful community of parents, children, and volunteers.
The ideal candidate will be:
– Passionate about children, and knowledgable about child development – including which types of toys are best suited to different children at different ages and stages of development.
– Reliable – since all of our volunteer parents have several small children and/or full time jobs, we will be relying on you to show up to sessions each week to support our paid librarian.
– Detail-oriented and comfortable reviewing and updating our online database on the computer.
Your tasks will include:
– Reviewing our amazing toy selection and making sure toys are in good shape: Counting pieces, sourcing missing pieces, and organising repairs of broken toys.
– Making sure toys are well documented: Updating labels/database, labelling new toys, and following up with parents on missing pieces.
– Reviewing our toy selection and making recommendations for new toys. This will include speaking with parents, reviewing our database to identify which toys are more or less popular, reviewing our range of toys compared to the ages/stages of our member children, and making recommendations for toys that we should be buying each year.
This review will be done by category. Our toy categories are: baby toys, role play toys, ride ons, outdoor and sports, water toys, musical toys, educational/electronic, theme toys, construction toys, puppets, puzzles, board games, and party hire.
This is such a fun job. It’s such a joy to engage with the toys in the library and the families that loan them. We look forward to welcoming the right candidate into our team.
The location is St Columba Hall, 92 Surrey Cresent, Grey Lynn.
How to Apply
Please apply with a resume and cover letter outlining why you want the position and what you would bring to the job.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming the right candidate into our big, loving Toy Library fam!
143 total views, 2 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here