Full-Time Speech Therapist – Kiribati
In this assignment you will work alongside local staff to improve the outcomes for children living with disabilities in Kiribati.
Currently there is only one school in Kiribati that caters for children with special needs. The Kiribati School and Centre for Children with Special Needs (KSCCSN) is also the main champion for ensuring child protection in a society where there is still stigma attached to those living with disabilities.
Although children with disabilities are culturally accepted, schools admit children of all ages and ranges of disabilities, managed by teachers who are not specifically equiped with the right training to support best possible outcomes for children with special educational needs.
The main focus of this assignment is to develop a culturally adapted curriculum to deliver therapeutic speech therapy to children with special needs.
In consultation with local staff you will train and mentor staff to practice and deliver activities and therapeutic methods.
To support this training curriculum you will also develop a training manual to support professional development in i-Kiribati.
To be considered for the role you will have:
– A Speech Language Therapy qualification and registration with NZSTA
– Extensive experience working with children with Special Educational Needs
– Knowledge of assessment and intervention approaches for children with complex needs
– The ability to work closely with teachers, support staff and parents where English is a second language
– Adaptable and able to work in a foreign culture
– This is a unique opportunity for you to share your professional skills and make a real impact on special needs training for teachers and staff and make a genuine impact on the outcomes for children living with disabilities in i-Kiribati.
This is a one-year assignment based in Kiribati.
About volunteering with VSA
VSA is New Zealand’s largest and most experienced volunteering agency working in international development.
We cover living allowances, accommodation and utilities. Travel, visas, insurance and medical costs are organised and funded by VSA.
Volunteers must be a NZ citizen or permanent resident.
If current VSA assignments don’t suit your skills and experience you can register your interest with us and we’ll let you know when something in your field is available.
262 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here