Full-Time EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Child Poverty Action Group
Child Poverty Action Group is an independent charity striving to eliminate child poverty in New Zealand. It works on behalf of the 1 in 3 New Zealand children whose well-being and future is compromised by their meagre standard of living.
This role presents a singular opportunity to help CPAG make a difference in the lives of the estimated 341,000 children living in poverty by using your experience and well-rounded skills in administration and organisational management.
You will be well organised, experienced with administrative and office tasks and be proactive and enthusiastic about CPAG’s purposes. Ideally you have an active interest in current social issues in Aotearoa-NZ and an understanding of politics and political parties. You will also have initiative together with an ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision but collaboratively with other staff and volunteers.
The position requires proven ability to communicate and build relationships effectively with diverse groups. Experience working in or with Maori and Pasifika communities would be advantageous.
CPAG is an equal opportunities employer and encourages diversity in the workplace.
CHILD POVERTY ACTION GROUP
POSITION: EXECUTIVE OFFICER
APPOINTED BY: CHILD POVERTY ACTION GROUP (CPAG)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Convenor/s of CPAG or delegated member of Management Committee of CPAG
Our vision is an an Aotearoa where all children flourish, free from poverty
“He kai tahu me kikini, he kai tahu me tīhore, mā te tamaiti te iho”
“Pinch off a bit, peel off a bit, the inside is for the child” (said of the potted bird)
Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) is an independent, registered charity founded in 1994 who work to eliminate child poverty in New Zealand through research, education and advocacy.
Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) strives to achieve the elimination of child poverty in Aotearoa New Zealand. We work to provide evidence-based research about the causes and effects of poverty on children and their families, and to inform the public, policy makers, media and politicians of the changes to policy needed to eliminate child poverty.
The four pou (underlying values) within CPAG’s kaupapa
Mana – We acknowledge and uphold the mana of all children.
Manaakitanga – We believe that our society should show respect, generosity and care for all children as taonga.
Kotahitanga – We work collectively to uphold the mana of all children and to ensure they flourish.
Mātauranga – We believe that child centred knowledge is essential to upholding their mana and enabling them to thrive
Primary objective of the position:
To provide organisational support across all aspects of CPAG operations.
Supervision of the work of the Executive Officer is by the Convenor/s of CPAG and may be delegated to another member of the CPAG Management Committee.
• CPAG Management Committee & sub-committees
• CPAG Communications Advisor
• CPAG Researcher/s
• CPAG Volunteers including CPAG’s wider networks/branches in Whangarei, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin and Nelson
• Auckland City Mission Staff
• CPAG database: donors, members and other supporters
• CPAG funders
• Suppliers of goods and services required by CPAG both on a paid and pro bono basis.
• Media personnel
• Members of Parliament
• Government personnel
• Local government personnel
• General public
• Managing office mail – phone, print and electronic including general public and media inquiries/requests.
• Supervision of maintenance of office supplies
• Supervision of data entry in relation to membership subscriptions and donations.
• Receipting of donations, membership and sales (event tickets, DVDs, publications)
• Liaising with the Treasurer, entering accounts to be paid and keeping accurate records of reimbursements, cheques and bank deposits (donations, membership, sales etc).
• Managing the sale of CPAG reports and other educational material including invoicing, postage and payment.
• Maintaining a range of contact and mailing lists including supporters, donors and media lists.
Coordination & Strategy
• Developing and circulating Agendas and Minutes of CPAG Management Committee meetings in consultation with the MC meeting chair/s
• Progress key ongoing development activities that will meet our strategic plan goals
• Liaising with Convenor, Treasurer, MC & subcommittees regarding organisational and financial matters.
• Liaising with, providing support, establishing and maintaining good relationships with CPAG’s regional groups.
• Supporting the day to day workload of core CPAG Management Committee and volunteers.
• Stakeholder and volunteer relationships – managing ongoing relationships
In consultation with the Communications Advisor:
• Screening potential projects before taking to MC
• Supervising (Communications Assistant ) preparation of communications with CPAG’s supporters and stakeholders including CPAG’s Quarterly Update and Newsletters and other updates.
• Growing CPAG’s supporter database, membership and donations via website, email, post and other communication channels.
• Encouraging and developing the engagement of younger people (18-40yrs) with CPAG including organising monthly meetings, guest speakers and guiding their own efforts.
• Keeping the website up to date and furthering its development.
• Sending out media releases if Communications Advisor unavailable or indisposed.
• Controlling quality of all CPAG material for professional presentation, disclaimers, brand protection, ensuring all relevant aspects are covered
• Assisting with any formatting of documents
• Organising monthly Management Committee meetings and annual planning day.
• Organising, and coordinating all aspects of CPAG public events including:
o Annual General Meeting
o Nationwide Post Budget Breakfast Series
o Publication Launches
o Other fundraising, awareness and public education events which may arise.
• Liaising with community groups to support events they hold in aid of CPAG and/or child poverty.
• Responding to requests for CPAG speakers at conferences, lectures, forums, meetings etc including presenting on CPAG’s behalf if appropriate.
• Attending CPAG Management Committee and relevant sub-committee meetings.
• Attending events on behalf of CPAG as required such as conferences, information days, brainstorming sessions.
• Presenting on behalf of CPAG if appropriate.
• Developing ongoing fundraising strategy in consultation with fundraising sub-committee
• Monitoring funding opportunities including seeking out new funding opportunities.
• Preparing or assisting with and tracking funding applications including accountability reports to funders
• Facilitating and encouraging donations including developing appeal letters.
• If required, helping to develop written and oral submissions and letters to politicians and key stakeholders on bills and policies relevant to child poverty.
• Liaising with office hosts, the Auckland City Mission, and maintaining good relationships with them.
• Recruiting, screening and supervision of volunteers reporting to the Executive Officer, for example CPAG events and admin volunteers.
• In consultation with the Convenor/s, contributing to other areas of CPAG’s research, education and advocacy work.
Skills, Abilities and Competencies
1. High level of administrative organisation and competence
2. High level of literacy, written skills and comprehension
3. High level of computer literacy, and ability to use of relevant databases
4. High level of problem solving skills and initiative
5. Ability to establish work priorities and set realistic goals and meet deadlines
6. Ability to work within a not-for profit organisation and liaise effectively with CPAG Management Committee, other CPAG staff and volunteers
7. Ability to be flexible and maintain composure under stress
8. Mature, professional behaviour in relationships with other members of CPAG, with stakeholders and the public
1. Meeting objectives set at the outset of undertaking new projects
2. Being responsible for timely completion of work
3. Advising CPAG Management Committee at weekly staff meetings of work in progress
4. Advising CPAG Treasurer of costs incurred
750 total views, 2 today
Apply for this Job
Show some love and please mention you saw this job on Do Good Jobs in your application. Want to find out about more jobs like this? Sign up for the Do Good Jobs weekly newsletter here